eww can haz font

After some help from Eli, I now have a proof of concept of rendering HTML with proportional fonts in Emacs.  The main difficulty is, of course, doing line folding on a pixel basis instead of a word basis, and lining stuff up in tables.

Here’s how my test page looked before these changes:

variable5And now with a variable-width font:

variable1So pretty!

Let’s have a look at a couple of real-life pages.  Duck Duck Go:


And Wikipedia:

variable4 variable3

It’s kinda starting to resemble a real browser, if you squint at it.  After more than a couple of beers.

It’s just a proof of concept, so far.  There is, of course, lots of twiddling to be done with <pre>, font style sheets and stuff, but the main issue that has to be addressed is speed.  At the moment, it’s quite slow.  I suspect we’ll have to add a C-level function that can say “what pixel column am I at now”, because the Emacs Lisp version I’ve cobbled together isn’t effective enough.

The End of an Ear

I moved to a bigger apartment like five years ago.  “Hey!  Finally I can have access to all my precious belongings!  Preciouses!!!”

But time passes, and I tend to accrue more precious belongings, so I have to start putting stuff down into the basement storage room thingie.

And I settled on the CDs.  Since I rip everything to flac, I don’t really use the physical copies much.  Only when I want to stare at the booklet.

CDs tightly packed into Ikea drawers

There were rather more CDs than I had imagined, because I’d packed them really tight.

DSC01039 DSC01041

Which meant a lot of boxes.

Now I just have to carry 300kg (that’s about 9000 square pounds in Imperials, I think) down five floors.

Oy, my back.