In the previous part of this series, we learned that a couple of plants had been invaded by white dust, which is probably a fungus. Of some kind.
I threw out the main offender, cleaned the area, sprayed anti-fungal stuff on the other plants nearby, and scrubbed down like in one of those horror movies.
I continued treating the affected plants religiously, day by day, wiping fungus and spraying Atamon. Or, to be more precise, and perhaps slightly more truthful, I kinda forgot (or suppressed; my False Memory Regression Therapist might help me with that one) the entire issue, and weeks (months?) kinda passed by.
So the other day I had a look at the remaining plants in that window:
Eek! Infested! And the plant looks like it’s collapsing:
It used to be all healthy and stuff.
I’ve now thrown that one out, too, and scrubbed down again.
No more new plants until this is under control! I mean, except for these I just bought:
That’s a … er … let’s see. I’m gonna guess aloe, crassula and the last one is, of course, some kind of sansevieria.
I’m not really the most observant person in the world. However, having this escaping my attention is a pretty big achievement.
But today, while watering the plants, I noticed something odd on one of the aloes:
Some white fluffy things on the leaves. Hm. Then I looked further down:
Lots more! And the soil! More fluffy white mold!
Infected! And behind the potted plant?
Dear Interwebs, what is this? And what’s the best way to deal with this? Should I kill it with fire, before going into one of those scenes you see in the movies when somebody has detected something yucky (i.e., scrub my skin in the shower until it bleeds)?
Or is there a less drastic solution?
I can just throw away that aloe, but I see that it’s spread to the plant next to it:
And that’s a huge one that I’m not that keen on throwing away.
Another winter over. Unfortunately, I kinda forgot to wrap the rose bushes in December, so there was a mass die-off.
The green bit is a weed.
More weed. The dry dead thing over there is Heidi Klum. Ba-dish. Yeah, that’s the name of the rose. And it’s dead. Boo-hoo.
Anyway, I’m giving it another go, and this time I’m gonna wrap like I’m in De La Soul and it’s 1989.
I give this project a 0.2 chance.
It’s summertime, so all the flowers are in bloom! Just look at these bountiful aloes and haworthias!
Ok, not very impressive. But the roses are doing well, at least.
I’ve been repotting this evening.
I just noticed the subtle difference between old pots and new pots.
Can you spot which pots are the new ones?
It hasn’t really been warm enough this year to spend any time on the balcony, but I have been keeping an eye out for the roses I planted last summer, seeing how they were getting on. Through the window. Once in a while.
Being proud that they survived the winter.
Then the other day I went outside and took a closer look.
My, look how green and healthy thos…
HEY! THOSE AREN’T ROSES!
They’re weed. And not the funny kind.
So I set off weeding today.
So sad. Sad sad sad.
Off to the garden center to buy some new ones. Since the Pink Fairies and Vikings I got last year weren’t hardy enought, I got a Moje Hammerberg and a Heidi Klum. I’m assuming nothing is as hardy as Heidi Klum.
I kept the bit of the Viking that was still kinda alive.
The third rose I got last year is still actually kinda living. And flowering.
Anyway, this is what Moje and Heidi will look like in only weeks! Allegedly!
Gardening is so much drama.